Unlike humans (who want food, water, sleep, love, entertainment, personal fulfillment, the list goes on . . .) grass asks for very little in life. Once it is alive and has a home in the soil, it wants only two things: sunlight and water. Sunlight, depending on the weather’s interference, is quite dependable. Water, on the other hand, comes and goes, especially here in Missouri. One week, it seems to be flooding. The next, and the next, and the next, we’re stuck in a drought. So if you’re tired of dragging around your sprinkler or hose, consider installing an irrigation system. Convenient and reliable, irrigation systems are a great way to keep your lawn fresh, green, and well-fed. Use our lawn irrigation tips for best results.
Lawn Irrigation Tips
1. Hire a professional. Anyone can install an irrigation system. Should anyone? Certainly not. For best results, find a certified irrigation designer to layout your yard’s system. By using a professional, you will also minimize the damage done to your yard and you won’t have to worry about cleaning up afterward—they’ll take care of all that for you!
Related Post: When Should I Water Plants During the Summer?
2. Inspect your backflow valve and replace outdated components. Here in southwest Missouri, most cities require that you test your backflow valve once a year. It is important that you follow this regulation if you want to keep your water running cleanly.
Related Post: Signs You Need a New Irrigation System
3. Turn your irrigation system off during the wintertime. If you neglect to (1) turn off your irrigation system during the winter months and (2) blow the water out of the lines, the water could freeze and cause the lines to burst. Avoid the expensive repairs that would be required after an incident like this by simply shutting off your system and cleaning out the lines.
4. Request an audit if you’re having trouble. If you recently moved into a new house and you don’t have any information regarding the contractor who installed the system, you’re probably in need of some lawn irrigation tips. Hire a new contractor to audit the system, ensuring that it is performing efficiently, and perform any needed repairs.
5. Conserve as much water as possible. Although water is essential for a healthy, lush lawn, it is always a good idea to implement some eco-friendly lawn irrigation tips so that you can conserve water but maintain a beautiful lawn. Install a smart weather and rain sensor to make water conservation simple. The automated timer will adjust the amount of water distributed depending on the amount of rain detected by the rain sensor. That way, you won’t have to constantly adjust your system depending on the amount of precipitation you’ve recently received.
Call Us for All Your Irrigation Needs
If you live in southwest Missouri and you would like to have an irrigation system installed, repaired, or audited, please give Nixa Lawn Service a call. We offer full-service irrigation contracting and can improve your lawn by designing an efficient irrigation system, inspecting and servicing your backflow valve, repairing your irrigation system, or performing an audit and fixing any problems that arise. Call 417-724-0318 today for lawn irrigation tips and services.